Note: We receive a commission for purchases made through the links on this site. Our sponsors, however, do not influence our editorial content in any way.
A new year means it’s time to think about your taxes, and if you’re a “do-it-yourselfer,” then choosing the right online tax software is a task you’ll want to take care of upfront. But choosing the best online tax software for 2019 doesn’t have to be a hassle when you have a plan. Here are some tips for finding the best online tax service for 2019:
1. Take Your Tax Situation Into Consideration
Make sure you consider your tax situation before investing in an online tax software product. If your taxes are fairly simple, such as you are single with no additional deductions to make, then any one of the popular online tax software products may fit your needs. However, if you have a more complicated tax situation, then you’ll want to use one that provides the forms you need.
2. Take Your Budget into Account.
Choose a product that works for your budget. Here are some of the best online tax software on the market:
- TurboTax. This popular online tax software streamlines the tax preparation process by making it simple to import your important documents, including any1099 or W-2 forms. It’s more expensive than most other options, but its audit support, pop-up guidance and other key features make it a choice that’s worthwhile. Read our TurboTax review.
- HR Block. This online tax software provides comprehensive features, including a tax preparation checklist and unlimited live tax advice from professionals.
- TaxAct. This budget-friendly online tax software is less expensive than HR Block and Turbo Tax thanks to price-lock guarantee. That means you won’t have to worry about the cost of filing your taxes increasing the closer you get to the tax deadline. See more about TaxAct here.
- E-File.com. Choose from three options including free basic, deluxe and premium. The premium version also covers business deductions and investment income and is 60 percent less than other popular online tax software.
3. Consider Support
Consider using online tax software that provides the support you need, and compare them before making a selection. Also, each online tax software offers different levels of support. For instance, Turbo Tax’s support depends on the online software edition you select and even provides a paid option for receiving live support from CPAs. Tax Act also provides live customer support online and links to support content but this support is more focused on federal taxes rather than your state taxes.
Choosing the best online tax software calls for having a plan. By following these tips, you can find the best online tax software that meets your needs.